oil consumption

hi all:

years ago friends of mine would tell me to run my mopar V-8's a qt. low as the first qt. would burn off after 5-750 miles and then stay at 1 qt.low for the next 1000 miles..I must admit getting the same results myself..any truth or reason to this? my '74 imp 440 is doing the same thing...thanks!

mark blitman