Ballast resistor

By looking at the part numbers, 2095 501 and 2275 590, you might think the
2095 501 was marketed BEFORE 2275 590,  And you would be right.

Ballast resister # 2095 501 was first used in 1960 on the Plymouth V8 and
Dodge Dart V8 models with a 60-Amp alternator,  In 1961, ALL Chrysler
Corporation cars (except Valiant and Lancer) used 2095 501.  For 1962 the
2095 501 was replaced by 2275 590.  And all 1961 Chrysler Corporation cars
did have a resistor bypass.

By the way, on another list a member with some electrical background stated
that all resistors have increased resistance as the temperature rises.  And
temperature rises with use.  That being the case, then all ballast resistors
are "temperature compensated".

<snip> The 67 wiring diagrams do not show the
> bypass circuit. As you indicated, to check a specific car, look at the
> bypass resistor and note how many wires are connected to the
> DISTRIBUTOR SIDE spade terminal. If there is a bypass circuit there will
> be two wires; if not, there will be only one wire, which goes directly
> to the distributor.
<end snip>

This is incorrect.  The 1967 wiring diagram does show a bypass, but it does
NOT go anywhere near the ballast resistor.   And this style of bypass is
shown on all 1967-1975 Imperial wiring diagrams.

For 1967, when the ignition is in the START position, the power runs from
the IGN 2 connector on the ignition switch via a 12-gauge brown wire through
the bulkhead connector.  The 12-gauge brown wire runs to a 12-gauge dark
blue wire which runs from the ballast resistor to the coil, but the wires do
NOT join at the ballast resistor.  Thus it bypasses the ballast resistor.

The next time you open the hood of a 1967-1971 Imperial check the wire
running to the positive side of the coil.   You can trace it back to the
ballast resistor, but on the way you will be run into a junction with a
brown wire.  That brown wire runs to the ignition switch.

When the ignition key is returned to the ON position, power again runs from
the IGN connector on the ignition switch by a 12-gauge dark blue wire,
through the bulkhead connector to the ballast resistor.  Power then runs
through the ballast resistor, and onto the coil via the 12-gauge dark blue
wire with a junction along the way with a brown wire.

I checked the ignition systems for all Imperials from 1959 through 1975, and
they all have a bypass on the resistor when in the START mode.   The 1972
Imperials gained electronic ignition, and with it a dual resistor ballast.
But the wiring is similar to the 1967-1971 Imperials, with the brown wire
from the START (IGN 2) running directly to the coil.  The wire from the
ballast resistor joins this wire before the coil, but the wires do not join
at the resistor.  Again, there is a dark blue wire from the ON (IGN)
position to the ballast resistor.  This layout was used to the end of
Imperial production in 1975.

My statement on the 1967-68 ballast resistors was based on experience.  A
friend had a 1967 Dodge that had a ballast resistor die.  The one he got,
and was listed as being the correct one for 1967, was the same as the one I
had in my 1965 Valiant, which was the same as the one used in 1962-1966
Imperials.

I believe this should answer all questions on ballast resistors and the
bypass.

Bill
Vancouver, BC