Adventure in painting

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the pot. I have noticed that base coat with a clear coat top looks very nice in the beginning, but when you need to repair or touch up an area, it is very hard to blend the new clear coat to the old. I had this problem when I removed the rear spoiler on my Nissan in order to repaint it, and I ended up repainting the rear of the deck lid which it sat on due to many scratches in the paint. After clear coating it, and rubbing and polishing, I can still see the mark where the two paint jobs meet. I would have to repaint the entire rear hatch to alleviate this problem. I would also not recommend clear coat on urethane parts, even with elasticisor added, after a couple of years I am starting to see a lot of small surface cracks in the clear coat. Not that most of our Imperials have urethane parts anyway!
Bill '59 Crown