'63 - Not Deluxe - Custom!

Good Morning All,
       My apologies - I meant to say Custom, not Deluxe!  Twenty lashes with a leaking shift cable for me!

       From what I can determine, the Custom is the Entry Level Imperial.  There are no Custom emblems on the car, but there is a reference to "Custom" on the title, and all the literature I've seen calls the lowest level car the Custom.  The exterior trim is a little more sparse, and the interior is absolutely spartan compared to the Crown and LeBaron vehicles.  Those light blue leather 78 NYB seats sure would look good in there...  the velour aftermarket covers have been bleached white by the sun, and just feel, well... icky.

       Anyway, the parts manual refers to cars coded as TY1-L as Customs, with the M suffix denoting Crown, and the -H suffix denoting LeBarons.

       Okay, so it's "econo" as compared to the higher trim level cars.  I'm still excited :)

       Got underneath her yesterday to see what shape the exhaust is in, and it's... MISSING!  Just 2 stubs from the manifolds, and not another pipe in sight!  I'll probably fab something up temporarily to make sure the car runs and drives well before having a custom system bent.  I also got the trunk open (where the PO said the keys probably were) and found only (the other) 3 wheel covers.  Probably going to have to swap another ignition switch in temporarily and have a key made.  Did see the metal stamping over the spare tire that I'd heard about.  Pretty cool.

       Got my 11 year old daughter out last night and showed her what "elbow grease" is.  Surprisingly, she took great interest in taking dirty, dull chrome and polishing it into clean, relatively shiny (albeit worn) chrome.  A few neighbors walked by, and to my surprise, seemed uncharacteristically aloof about seeing the car in the drive.  And no visits yet from the Driveway Police... hope springs eternal!

       I will try to get some pictures up on my web page this weekend.  I'm having WAY to much fun with this to not share it with somebody.

More news as it unfolds...
Steve Charette
'63 Custom Southhampton 4drht <--- man, that sounds classy!
'68 Crown 4drht
'81 Coupe