vinyl tops need help

>  It is really quite unique, and after 43 years only had some slight
> oxidation on both edges of the roof. All I had to do is sand it off, mask
> it, and spray it with black trim paint, which is semi-gloss, and it looks
> like brand new vinyl, without all the hassles. You may want to do the
> same on your car.
>Bill '59 Crown

This is interesting to me, because the 1963 I have has a black top that is
painted on and is textured. I assumed it was an aftermarket thing, similar
to the bed linings used today that are  sprayed in.
If this is factory, then this will simplify my restification of this car,
since I had planned on removing all this and painting the top body color.
Did they do this in 1963? I haven't found the build sheet as yet, but I
expect it would tell this.
Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to clear this up.
Danny