From: John Gault
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Porceline Imperial Sign , I smell shill bidding. Maybe, maybe not...

Not necessarily... shill bidding that is...

Sometimes a bidder will bid a very high price on an item.

Even though he may bid $500 on an item that is 100.00 at the time, the item will only move up to say $110.  But he will be protected until it gets to more than his $500. bid.

He may be going out of town, and cannot follow up later, so he bids whatever he thinks it will take to get it.

Some bidders will then come in one bid after another, inching up each time to keep from paying more than they have to to top where ever the $500 dollar bidder is.  Of course they have no idea that they will have to go to high... so they just keep inching it up... then give up when it gets too high for them   That makes their inching it up appear to be shilling.

That is why the "Snipers" are so successful.  They wait until the last 60 seconds to put in a high bid... and others try to "inch up" to wherever they are.  Time runs out and its all over.

"...and now you know the rest of the story..."

John Gault
IMPERIALIST