Electroluminescent problems

I think this sounds more like a problem with the rheostat in the
headlight switch.  Don't have my shop manual right here handy, but there
is a wire (seems like it's a pair?) going as 12-volt input to the power
pack.  Apply 12 volts directly to the 12 volt input (bypassing the
headlight switch) and see if the dash lights up.  If so, voila!

--Brooks in Dallas