440 vac leak??

Hi Kerry,
    I would bet that the carb is your problem from what you described. As
you add more air it seems to run better. How long have you had the carb
on there? I can't remember where I saw it but there was a write up on
this type of problem with the thermoquad someplace. I will see if I can
find it but from what I can remember it was that the body somehow became
porous or developed a crack and let the engine pull more fuel than it
needed. If you have a spare carb, even a different type that would bolt
on, you could swap them and see what your vacuum reading did with the
other carb and if the response was better. If it proves to be the carb,
you might want to get a new phenolic body and rebuild it yourself as I
never trust store bought rebuilds because they are not done by someone
who can test them, but usually by a kid who could care less what jets are
in there or if everything is set just so or not. I have a carter carb
book that helps explain the carb. E-mail me if you would like to borrow
it and I will send it to you.
     Good Luck
     Allan R