66 Le Baron Up-Date

Ola

Back in October we bought a 66 Le Baron and in December I drove the 63 Le
Baron from Colo Spgs to Fremont ( Calif ) to tow the car home.

Even tho the single exhaust note sounded OK, it was wired up with coat hanger
wire and it was easy to see that patch work replacement work had been done
here and there.  I had the muffler guy use 2 1/4" piping since it will clear
all parts from the exhaust manifold to the rear bumper.  To match this some
NOS "hemi mufflers" and the 2 1/4" inlet-outlet resonators where used.  We
all know that having an "H pipe" helps the exhaust system.  Well, I went one
step up and had a "X pipe" placed ahead of the mufflers.  What I have is
still a very quite and nice sounding Imperial with much better throttle
responce.  One on looker told me, "...with that "X pipe" I've been told that
you've got  maybe 10 to 15 added hp and its said to be the "cats meow"...".

The paint looked as if it had not been the benifactor of soap or polish for
some time.  After washing the thing I used a electric polisher.  What a way
to make Sequoia  green look better.  Two packets of extra fine steel wool has
made the chrome shine.

While I was towing the car back I jack-knifed on packed snow/ice at a gas
station drive way in Evanston, Wyoming.  This has been fixed by contacting
Bob Hoffenmeister to replace the right side if the grill-light assy.

For reasons that I don't know the factory AM/FM radio was out to lunch so I
removed it and gave it to my neighbor who repairs and collects home tube
radios for a hobby.  When I do get it back I'm sure that it will work like a
radio should.  He also tweeked the radio in our 63.  The guy was to retire
from the Air Force, but due to the worlds political unrest they have not let
him go yet.

The driver's seat switch was in need of repair. On Monday I went to the local
auto parts place to find a 65 New Yorker that had the electric seat option.
Our 66's driver seat now works.  Five bucks plus tax.

When the car was in the shop for the exhaust I checked the center bearing
support.  After a call to Lowell Howe I have a new support.  I also have new
U-joints.  For the last three weeks the drive shaft has been in the trunk
waiting for a good day for my return.

When I got the car the hood orinament was broken off.  Some derby guy sold me
one for ten dollars that was just good enough to say that I have one.  I got
one from Bob H and then a NOS one from Jim Harris.  I'm set on hood
orinaments for a while.

The trunk carpet was damp when I got home.  I dried it up by leaving the
trunk lid open on sunny days.  Then one day while gazing at the car I noticed
the right rear rubber plugs that are for access to the tail light assy were
off.  No more wet trunk carpet.

I had a early model/style dual snorkle air cleaner housing from a TNT/Magnum
engine so I replaced the restrictive single snorkle.  Since it has the big
round tubes it looks as if it belongs on the engine.  This is the first thing
that I did to the car.  The car was here less than 24 hours when this
happened.

The fan shroud is broken so I have taken it off until another one shows up.
Got one ?

I'm open to ideals and hints and free parts so contact me if ya got sumthin.

                                              Rodger & Gabby

47 De Soto Custom....w/eng & under dash wiring being replaced (almost
finished)
63 Le Baron....w/eng being removed for 39 yr replacement (mtr mount & trans
bolts     left)
66 Le Baron...