44 Fuel pump off... uh oh

>> Whats the trick on re-installing the fuel pump on a 440?  I cannot get
>> the
>> "rod" to retract that pushes against the lever on the fuel pump... and
>> the
>> pump won't go back on!  Any suggestions?

I had this same problem when I replaced the fuel pump on my 1973 Imperial
last summer.

My solution was to crank the engine in brief spurts until the rod would
retract farthest up into the block. This required sticking a finger in the
hole and pushing the rod upwards to check the distance. Don't crank the
engine with your finger in there, of course.

Some books suggested globbing grease around the rod to help hold it up and
out of the way. I tried this, but the rod always fell down by the time I
had the gas pump in position.

Finally I used a one foot length of foam insulation tubing, the stiff
narrow kind for pressing into crevices around home windows, to hold the rod
in place. The tubing left just enough room, and compressed just enough,
that the pump lever could be put in place loosely, and then the insulation
removed.

Removing the tubing was a matter of being careful not to rip it and not to
drop the fuel pump.

My installtion was successful. Perhaps this technique will work for you.

Dave Duricy
desotoland.com