IMPERIAL MODEL KITS...AMT

on 3/9/02 19:15, Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx at Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Stan, I am not sure exactly what your kits are worth. I guess whatever
> people are willing to pay for them. On eBay the old friction promo models
> which are the same model cars already constructed in colored plastic are going
> for around the $100.00 mark. I am also interested in airliner models, and
> purchased an old Revell 707 Astrojet kit on eBay for $50.00, when they usually
> go in excess of $100.00. It all depends on who is looking for the item at the
> time. If I were you, I would probably get rid of your inventory now, if that
> is what you intend to do, because I've noticed many of the old car models
> coming back, and if they bring back the Imperial, there goes your value. Just
> my thoughts, Bill '59 Crown

I hope this isn't straying too far from topic...

I have to disagree with Bill about the value of old kits that have been
reissued. Revell reissued a bunch of their "S" kits complete with more or
less original boxes and instructions, and now they're collectible in their
own right. But the cost of the originals didn't drop by very much if any.
The effect was mainly to allow those folks who'd rather build an old kit get
them cheap. The collectors are still interested in the original issue and
will pay for that.

As for AMT, I'd be very surprised if they reissue any of the Imperial kits.
They just don't have a very broad appeal, and that's assuming the molds
still exist or are in good enough condition to use.

Stan, I'd hang on to your kits, except of course, those worthless '65s! ;-)

Regards,
John
'65 Crown