Of Imperial Models ans such

Car model collecting is obviously a popular way to indulge the old car
passion.  What fascinates me are the prices people are prepared to pay for
them.  Any half decent 1958 promo is going to be sold for a healthy bundle
of cash.  I don't know who all the collectors are but there are a lot of
them and they either have deeper pockets than me or those containers have
not been strip mined by actually trying to run one of the full size
versions.  I'd love to get one but cannot justify, even to myself, let alone
my good lady wife, spending $70 for a model which seems to be significantly
warped, like something heavy sat on it and all the corners are turned up.

I did buy a lovely, hand made 1957 4 door hardtop, which turns out to have
been hand made in England.  I sent off the money, $150 or thereabouts as I
recall, and was put on a waiting list.  When it was time for the small
company building them to turn their attention once more to this particular
model, I received mine in due course.  Its a quite lovely thing, and is on
display at the transportation museum I am involved with.  Which is fair
enough, since their full size 58 is sitting in my garage.

Hugh