The term "hardtop"

Being just older than dirt, I was around when "Hardtops" were introduced.
D^2 is correct.  This was a new concept, at last for the major car
makers.
Previously only convertibles had an unobstructed window opening from
front to rear.
If I remember correctly, Willys Aero had the first one in 1952.  Willys
was the company
famous for making Jeeps.  They made a very nice small sedan in the 1950's
with an "F"-
head six engine.  (Anyone out there, under 65, know what an F-head is?)
The same
company was sold/merged, etc. and later purchased by Chrysler.

Reminiscing,  4 - Toes