The term "hardtop"

At 12:13 AM 3/5/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>PS Why is it called a hardtop anyway?  I know what a soft top is.

Hugh,
I am not sure if this is right, but the original term was "hardtop
convertible".  Without a B-pillar it is as if the car is a convertible, but
it actually has a hardtop rather than a soft top (so, its really not a
convertible, but it kind'o looks like one).  Eventually, the term got
simplified and the second word got damped and forgotten.  I had read this
on the British "Classic Cars" Magazine when they made a presentation of an
early 50's Bu*ck Roadmaster 2 door hardtop, I think 53.
D^2