Molding fastners/clips

In a message dated 3/1/2002 1:03:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
clay-deb@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< chrome side spear fasteners (or are they called clips?)  on my 67. The
clips are plastic with a approximate 1/2 inch square head. They look to be
held on the body of the car with a  push in type holder. Are these clips a
standard type fastener that is still available? >>

I was unable to find any new ones. Mopar still sells fasteners that look
identical except that they are larger, about 3/4 inch square. I got a few
from an IML member that was parting out a 67. They are easy to remove without
damage if you do it right. The problem is when you snap off the trim,
sometimes one of the corners break off. To get them off you just need to tap
out the little center cylinder which locks them into the sheet metal. Since
the cylinder isn't tapered, you can either tap them in or out depending on
which is more convenient by using a 1/4 drift and mallet. Once the cylinders
are out, carefully loosen the little prawls from the inside and carefully
remove the clips. If you closely look at the back of the clips, you will see
a tiny O-ring behind the head to cushion them from the paint.

Roy
67 Crown FDHT