need 94 octane in a 58 Imp ?

>Dimitrios tried to show me the benefits of running higher octane gas in the
>engine with the timing advanced, but I found it to be very unsatisfactory,
>and was glad to get the backing of engineering reports published in 1958 to
>provide quantified, objective, analysis on the subject.

Hugh, I think I had read that article when you published it.  They agreed
that there was no advantage in running premium gas, but I do not recall if
they had actually played with the timing.  My guess is that they did
not.  But again, given how tough it is to play with the 58's timing, I
don't blame them....

>I suspect, Bob, your engine has some significant issues for which the use of
>the knock suppressing gasoline is only a band-aid.  That is why I am
>interested in your MPG.  I am using rough estimates, because my odometer
>does not work, but I am running at 16 to 17 MPG on the highway in my '58.

Actually, it only takes a bit of carbon buildup in one of the cylinders to
cause excessive engine knock which could require the premium gas.  Bob's
engine may be functioning fine except for the carbon that could build up
compression ratio in one of the cylinders.  Also, Bob may be running higher
advance, so his car might be faster than your's Hugh!  He is paying for it
though!
D^2