manuals

--- Nicholas Essinger <crowncoupe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> politely said, "Do you
> mean this, the "Technical Service Manual?"  SO, What
> gives, here?  Are there
> TWO kinds of manual?  If not, which is correct: TSM
> or TSM?

Hi Nicholas,

Technical Service Manual is the correct terminology
for the 1964 model.  But it's the same book -- a
generic term that I usually use is simply "shop
manual," since these were the books intended for use
in Chrysler repair shops.  :o)

The two main books published each year by Chrysler
were the "shop manual" (technical service manual,
factory service manual, etc.) and the parts catalog.
The shop manual provides instructions on how to make
repairs.  The parts catalog breaks down darn near
every part in every car with its corresponding
Chrysler (and often other vendor) part number.  When
you have both, you can cover 99% of what ails the car.

Imperials were always covered in the Chrysler
(Chrysler/Plymouth/Imperial in the '70s) shop manuals.
 But anyone who claims an Imperial was "just a
Chrysler" has obviously never *read* any of these
manuals, since they typically include extensive
sections explaining how to repair the Imperial (VERY
different in many ways from working on the Chrysler of
the same year).

These manuals show up on eBay frequently, often at
good prices.  Over the past couple of years, I've
managed to collect a complete set of shop manuals from
1940 to 1975.  I also have a complete set of parts
catalogs from 1955 to 1975.  But, hey -- I'm a
professional librarian, so that's just what we do.
;o)

Elijah