Stereos in old cars

Allan;
 I doubt whether a new stereo unit would draw as much current as the old
tube radios that came with these cars. Some of the old tube car radios drew
as much as 8 amps especially if they had an electrodynamic speaker. As a
matter of fact, just like the headlights, you wouldn't want to run the radio
too long with the engine off. The irony is that as charging systems improved
in cars the current draw from the radios went down at the same time.
  It has always been my belief that part of the experience of using an old
car is using all of the old technology that came with it. From my point of
view that includes listening to the original radios with the original
circuitry as well. Of course I was into the old radio hobby before I was
into old cars so there is a certain appeal for me in repairing the original
radio and doing this. Some may not agree with me on this point but I don't
think that is any reason for gutting the original workings of the tube
radio.
  A more practical method is to leave the original radio alone and install a
newer unit in the glove box or something. If someone wants a more modern
sound system in their car your way is a good method of installing one in a
non invasive manner. Another, which I like, is to install the amplifier and
other equipment in the trunk where there is lots of inconspicuous space and
easy access. There are newer systems where you can do this and operate
everything by remote control by installing a sensor on the firewall just
below the dash. Not only does the car look original but you don't have to
worry about someone helping themselves to your C.D player.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim parts.