headlights

Sounds like the circuit breaker for the headlights.  It might be
overheating (worn out, bad connections or whatever) or you may have a
short and its just tripping like its supposed to.  Unlike the circuit
breakers in a house, these reset themselves automatically for obvious
reasons.  I'v enever had an Imperial do what you describe but a 1950
Studebaker once did it to me all night.  We finally found that the
luggage in the trunk had pressed against a tail light wire causing a
short and it made the breaker keeep tripping.  Your Imperial shouldn't
have any exposed wires there but there's plenty of places things in the
lighting circuits can get shorted.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.