California's inane old car laws

> engine.  I don't know if that ever became law;  if
> it did, it was to apply
> to any car turned in for smog credits - which
> program gave the car's owner
> $700 or so for doing this to a car.  The car had to

That is just wrong!  I have heard of various proposals
likee this, but never thought any state or
municipality was ignorant enough to enact such
elitist, ill-thought out, environmental special
interest pandering legislation.

> to register the car again in CA.  I bought an 82
> Imperial from an IML member
> two years ago and discovered that there was over
> $2500 in penalties due
> because of his letting the plates expire for 3

Even though you were the new owner!  That's
incredible!  What an age we live in!  Can't you at
least get the car registered out of state and then
bring it in?  I'm sure the Nevada DMV would be more
than accomodating.

This really boggles my mind, and I live right near the
home of all legislative blunders, Washington, D.C.
The attitude that "all state will probably enact such
legislation eventually" scares me more.  Companies can
buy credits to dump nearly as much soot and CO2 into
the atmosphere as they want, but some poor guy gets
700 dollars for turning in his car to get smashed up
by ignorant bureaucrats, or can't register a
completely legal car that has been under restoration
for the past 5 years and thus hasn't been registered,
without paying an ungodly fee.

My Imperial and I are righteously indignant.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Christmas is over now
So I'm changing my haiku