1959 taillights/pushbuttons & hydraulic brake lite switch

1959 taillights/pushbuttons & hydraulic brake lite switch

Bill,

Dim brake lites on all the time are a classic indication that the
hydraulic brake lite switch is about to fail (fluid leaking to the
internal switch contacts causing a shorting path).  If the switch is warm
or hot to the touch this is definitely the problem.   A quick test is to
disconnect the wires at the brake lite switch to check that the brake
lites go out then touch the two wire terminals together to see if the
brake lites glow bright.  If that's the case the wiring is ok and the
switch needs to be replaced.

The only electrical switch mounted to the trans. pushbutton assy.  is for
the backup lites.  The neutral safety switch is mounted in the trans and
is actuated by the shift cable.   These switches should have nothing to
do with the brake lites unless something is crosswired.

John B.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:49:08 EST Bilboyz@xxxxxxx writes:
> Thanks to all who replied to my dilemma with the stuck on tail
> lights. I
> don't think it's the brake light switch, since the lights are very
> dim, both
> dimmer than the normal position and when the brakes are applied. I
> think the
> neutral button is the culprit, since the problem didn't happen till
> I started
> having the pushbutton problem, of neutral being stuck in the pushed
> in
> position. Hopefully I can get this resolved without having to remove
> the dash
> to get at the pushbutton assembly. Thanks fellow Imperialists for
> coming to
> the rescue once again! Bill Melichar 1959 Crown Coupe.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.