Gas I who cares 6 hours Ratio

My fellow corvette nuts (many) install a 4.11 or 4.56 rear end gears so that they can burn the rubber off thier ties, alsome if you race from stop light to stop light, but when they drive any distance then they get sick to realize the vett got 6 or 7mpg . My 67 corvette came with 3.70 gears and was getting 14 or 15 mpg on the road, I changed it to 3.08 and now get 18 or 20mpg, higher rear end de- increases engine RPM which gives better gas mileage, it's that simple, that's why today cars all have over drive or 5th gear on a stick car. That is the biggest reason today's cars get good mileage. Our 97 Town car gets 21mpg and it has a 325hp engine and is near 5000lb. but the transmission is a four speed with over drive, real low gear on take off and high in over drive.

-------Original Message-------

Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 06:07:12 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Gas I who cares 6 hours Ratio

Hi Roy Late last night on another e mail I learned your first name , sorry I
adressed you with your family name only and to top it of I did not use Mr. I
did not know !! I thought thats a given name like Brett , Brad etc. Now to
the Imperial content . I went to my "shop" and checked with my FSM,to find
the rear end ratio. The specification say 1 to 3,54.with the C - 69 body
stile. Wich might be alright around town but opposite on the open road. Maybe
a 2,87 2,92 or whatever I can get under 3,00 might help to extend those 2
hour intervals between fill ups I,ll ask around . Sincerely Dieter 55 Newport