pertronix or mopar electronic or others?

pertronix or mopar electronic or others?

Hi all....

While I wont disagree with the idea that a distributor in good mechanical
condition, with a good quality set of points in it that are properly
adjusted will function very well, a lot of us have switched to one of the
electronic conversions.

Without going into all the physics of it, you are basically replacing the
mechanical action of the points with an electrical opening and closing of
them through a transistor.  Some systems use optics, but generally they use
a magnetic system that generates a small current that ends up signaling the
coil.

The one caveat I have had with these systems, is with a vehicle that has or
had a recurved distributor or an older vehicle that has a different curve
than the newer replacement distributors the Pertronix worked well in that
the curve was not altered.

For most other applications in my fleet, I have had an easier time overall
with the Mopar system.  The replacement ecu is generally easier to find,
quite often on the shelf at most Chry dealers, or thru most of the
aftermarket parts houses.  There is nothing wrong with Pertronix, I still
have one on a car, but you generally WONT find one on the closest store
shelf, when it fails and the car is sitting on the wrong side of town, in
the dark, in the rain and youre by yourself.

Just my 3 cents on this one...thanks everyone

Take care

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe