Stranded in metropolis

I am once again here, hat in hand.

O.k. man, so  Im happily tooling along in my 65 Le Baron from Georgetown to
home in SE Washington DC  enjoying the first snow fall of the year on the
Mall (sleigh bells ringing in the back ground) and my "freeze plug" pops out
and dumps all the coolant (violins). It took a little less than a mile
before I was able to find a place to park (not easy any more after 9\11).

I found the hole by pouring spare coolant in the radiator and promptly
hearing it dump out the bottom passenger side of the engine thru the hole.

The tow truck person identified the neat and clean little hole on the lower
passengers side of the engine (413) as the "freeze plug hole" (about 1- 1\2
in diameter).

Does it work as some sort of pop-off valve like the guy said?

What is its function?

Can I get one fairly easy?

What should I do to the engine before I start it up again (like say nice
things to it?) when the hole is finally plugged (it had to go about a mile
with no coolant before I could pull over)?

Will Laura Bush ever find a decent cocktail in the White House?

Your all knowing help would greatly be appreciated!

Johan
65 Le Baron