Re: IML: New Yorker & Imperial virtually the same car??

Re: IML: New Yorker & Imperial virtually the same car??

Although I am the owner of a 56 Imperial, the Chrysler New Yorker was
always a darned fine car.  The Buick Roadmaster/Electra 225, and the Olds
98 shared the same body as the Cadillac throughout their existance, but
had the lesser engines, most of the time, and different skin.  I had an
Olds 98 for a while--it was a fine car.  Ford never figured out what to do
with Mercury; sometimes it shared a body with Lincoln, sometimes it shared
a body with Ford.  I think Lincoln only made money as a marquis after GM
made Cadillac front wheel drive. That car shares the body of Ford Crown
Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis. Cadillac did well because they established
their neich at the top of GM's line and kept their leadership in the
market.  Lincoln started out as a luxury car, but made the Zephyr during
the Depression, which probably saved their skin, much like Packard with
the 120, but they dropped their luxury car, the K cars.  Of course, the K
cars were early depression era designs, and totally outdated by the time
the last one was built. Until about 1956, Ford did not have an entry in
the luxury car price range--Lincoln was an upper medium priced car,
competing against Olds 98, Buick Roadmaster, and at the top end of the
Chrysler New Yorker price.  Chrysler just couldnot get the money out of
the Imperial it deserved,until about 1955.  Cadillac always seemed to get
their price, and they kept their place as the "standard of the world",
until they fell off the ball in the 80s.