Re: IML: Imperial And New Yorker The Same?

Re: IML: Imperial And New Yorker The Same?

The Cadillac series 62 started sharing bodies with the Buick
Super/Roadmaster in 1940 and that body was also used by LaSalle 52, Olds 80,
and Pontiac Custom.  The 1941 Cadillac 61 shared bodies with the Buick
Special/Century, as well as Olds 76/78 and Pontiac Streamliner.   The
1941-42 Cadillac 67 used the Buick Limited body.   And, for the life of me,
that 1941-42 Cadillac 63 reminds of a Chevrolet with the rear axle pushed
back.

Starting in 1959, the big GM C body (Cadillac-Buick Electra 225) was
bascially the B body (Chev-Pontiac-Olds 88/98-Buick LeSabre/Invicta/Electra)
with a longer body centre section, different roof and rear quarters.  That
continued right into the downsized 1977 C and B bodies.  So the much vaunted
1959-198x Cadillac deVille was, for all intents and purposes, a Chevrolet
Biscayne on a longer wheelbase. Along with a few minor improvements in
equipment and detail.

You are absolutely right about the need to share bodies with other makes.
The financial investment has to be covered somehow - either by a number of
makes sharing bodies, as GM, Ford and Chrysler do,. or using bodies over a
long period of time - 1957-66 Imperial, 1936-48 Lincoln, 1961-69 Lincoln,
1947-52 Studebaker, 1953-66 Studebaker, 1950-63 Rambler, 1948-54 Hudson,
1952-57 Nash, 1941-50 Packard, 1956-82 Checker, etc.

Bill
Vancouver, BC