Re: IML: 1967 Imperial Steering

I'm sorry, Anthony, but any shop that returns a car to a customer that way
would lose my confidence quickly.

I believe the '67 does not have a master spline so in theory you could pull
the wheel and rotate to the correct orientation.

But before you do, note the position of the wheel when the tires are facing
straight ahead (roll to a stop somewhere to be sure). Then turn the wheel
fully left and count the number of rotations (should be roughly 1.75 turns,
or 3.5 turns lock-to-lock). Now re-center it and do the same to the right.
It should turn an equal number of rotations.

If it does, your steering components under the hood are likely adjusted
adequately and they had just fallen to far out of whack that the car was
indeed 90 degrees off. But that's kind of hard to believe unless the car had
some sort of front-end damage or a frightening amount of free play.

If halfway between full-left lock and full-right lock on the steering wheel
puts the spokes at east and west as they should be (but not the tires), your
shop (or maybe a more qualified one that won't feed you a line like that)
needs to correctly adjust the steering gear that was just installed so the
wheel is centered when the car is. If the same shop does it, it should be
free of charge and with a humble apology, imho!

Let us know the outcome, please! Good luck!

Chris in LA
67 Crown (which I just took for an exercise run today...sweet!)
78 NYB Salon