Dan Richardson

From: Elijah Scott <imperial1971@xxxxxxxxx>
Daniel Richardson <TheRichardsonFamily@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now, that begs the question.... does anyone have this choke disk on their Mopar?  If so, where do the terminals connect?  Or, if Chrysler never used this set-up, where can I purchase the 1- Well type choke set up, 2- a new vacuum choke pull-off, 3- the proper linkage?
When I rebuilt the engine in my '71 Imperial (http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Scott/Engine/), I replaced the original but broken Carter AVS (the body actually had a big crack) with a new Carter AFB with an electric choke.

The carburetor you've described has an electric choke, which is generally "better" because it's more reliable, AND it's adjustable.  It also heats up faster, allowing the choke to open sooner, getting the mixture leaner quicker after start-up.

I seem to remember that the hot wire for the choke was connected to the ballast resistor, so that the choke would only be activated when the ignition was turned on.  I h aven't had quite enough coffee yet this morning, so I may not be remembering correctly.

There's an excellent, excellent book on Carter Carburetors that I highly recommend -- http://tinyurl.com/hjgwz.

Good luck,

Elijah