RE: IML: Question

It does seem a little odd that it was driving OK and just a few days of sitting, it won't prime through the system. Does it run as long as you keep pouring a little gas? If it is shutting off as soon as you release the key from the start position, you probably need a new ballast resistor. If it definately is fuel, then here are some of the things to consider: The fuel pump diaphragm may crack from age; the check ball in the fuel pump may stop seating well enough to self prime the pump due to muck and corrosion around it, the arm may bend or break off, usually if it isn't getting oil and the push rod wears through it. The push rod itself can wear down on either end, usually again due to oil not getting up to it from sludge, and also, when you put a new cam in without putting assembly lub on the fuel pump eccentric it can wear the pushrod quickly, I found that one out the hard way about 250 miles from home once. And of course the cam may be worn down too much to create enough suction in the pump to prime itself. Then, there are cracks in the suction end of things, either the hose from hard line to fuel pump, or hose from tank pickup to hard line. Of course the filter "sock" in the tank can get plugged, this probably would happen if the car sat for a long time, then you got it running and drove it around, then when it sits again the stuff stirred up settles around the lowest part of the tank, where the sock is too. You can blow compressed air back through the system which probably will blow the sock off if it is plugged, which may let you get going, just remember it will be sucking the muck up through the line then until you clean the tank out. Also check the filter between the pump and carb. Another possibility is a stuck needle in the seat in that AFB, or enough muck in the primary bowls to have clogged both primary jets, not common in AFB type carbs though since the needles go down through the jets and kind of help keep stuff from settling in too much as they run up and down with vacuum changes, although of course the needles themselves could get stuck too. I'd try putting a pump on first, I think cheap ones are $20-ish generally, and take a look at the pushrod while you're at it. I generally pull the pushrod out to inspect it, then put it back in slathered with wheel bearing grease to get a good start at lubrication and also to help hold it in the "up" position so you can put the plug back in then get the fuel pump positioned right without interference. When you look at the pushrod, if both of the unpolished ends are equal length, it is probably OK, because in my experience at least it generally will wear one end or the other but not both. I'm sure I missed something to check, but that's what comes to mind.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340