Re: IML: Here is the Imperial article

I am guaranteeing, that this new Imperial will not last more than 3 years if it goes into production. Chrysler has fallen on its face if it makes a second generation Rolls.
   Earlier I mentioned what the new RETRO Imperial should have. Free standing headlights. Now I will explain why. When I see custom car shows or parts for sale at swap meets, the only headlights I find are the 61 thru 63's. No others years. This in itself helped promote the rareness of these cars and made people think they are all over. The tail light on top of some sort of small fin is another aspect of what was unigue Imperial. This is called retro. Imperial as a car today to stand alone has been ruined and will NOT make it, either with the name Chrysler or seperate. When I was at the 90 Chrysler Imperial unvailing, I asked the rep if the name would be used with Chrysler, and he said yes, I said, it will not make it as another make at Chrysler. The 81 thru 83 is another example. I test drove an 81 in late 80, I think it was October for my wife and when I found out it was a Chrysler, I stopped looking and bought a new 80 New Yorker Fifth Ave Limited Edition with a stainless steel roof. That should have been a Chrysler Imperial. But, it to lasted only 1 or 2 years.
   Back to the Chrysler Rolls. As I mentioned earlier before I saw the pics of the new Rolls Chrysler, I mentioned it needed the things of previuos Imperials, not Chrysler Imperials, and lo and behold, the mag used a 62 Imperial as a reference to the old Imperials. DUH, now, maybe you see what the other non Imperial writers, who write about every car in the world, remember about an Imperial. Free standing headlights, and taillights on top of a toned down fin.
   The problem with the 55-6 Imperials is the grille is not to the unique Imperial, it is BORROWED from another car, again, not unique Imperial. I have 8 Imperials. The one with the greatest response from wow, incredible, look at those and they mention a certain item, and say, that is so obvious Imperial, is the 61. The others, though Imperials, are the toned down versions. 62 and 63's. Even the colors and interior colors are toned down. They are not the bright look at me colors of 61.
   So, if an Imperial is coming out, it is a retro name plate, and the name has to resemble a past model of sorts, or it will fall by the way side, again . Like I mentioned, only the new Mustang has hit the mark and it is a huge success. The T-Bird died. The Imperial died a couple times and will again, and the GTO, well, it is not a GTO. I guarantee it here in writing. We have too many cars today resembling the rolls. There is an older model Volvo I always thought to look like a mini Rolls.
   Almost every buyer, except those only interested in gas mileage, and maybe one other person, have bought a new car on looks first. Color, then, oh, it has an engine? Oh, the little one is ok, but I will get a HEMI emblem and have people think it is a HEMI. Many of today's buyers cannot afford the maintenance and quirks of an older car. So, this is why the retro thing is so much in demand. Driveability by todays standards and I want it now attitude have brought on this current fad.
   Did you all notice that the new Challenger is a 2 door, not a 4 door. It resembles a Challenger? The Charger missed this mark and I was very outspoken to Chrysler at shows were we would fill out a form on the new concept Charger. Well, this is a car that will be popular, but not as many buyers, because Chrysler never sold as many cars as the Mustang did or will. Chrysler, just be the leader, not the follower as you have in the past with the Mini van, Viper, bringing back the conv first, etc. There, I said it, Joe Machado