Re: IML: windshield disaster and update

In response.....

We got the seal in beautifully.  As I was using the original seal it fit right over the clips.  The manual said start at the top pushing upward which worked fine.  It was when we got to the bottom that the trouble began.  Starting at the bottom would make more sense but thats just not how it went.  My father lives in Kansas and could run up to Bob H's should he be able to come up with some good glass.  Bob appears to have a '60 sedan on his web page but you can never tell what shape things are in.  I'm gonna call the guy in California about a reproduction but I've slaved over this wreck too long now to compromise.  Especially when I had pristine parts this morning and now just have a globbed up seal.

We also tryed starting the car today for the first time.  My dad and I are gluttons apparently.  First the neatral safety switch wouldn't work so we hot wired past that and got the engine turning but no fire.  Then the accelorator fell to the floor, linkage adjustments.  Still no fire.  Found out the points had oxidized over.  Removed the distributer and cleaned the points.  One horendous fire over.  Pulled a plug and tested for compression in a particular cylinder.  Adjusted the timing to match the cylinder and was turning over but very stiff, fire but no start.  At this point our new battery was kaput so charging it overnight.

My parents were here a week and my father and I have spent most of it in the garage.  They go home tomorrow so the morning is the last chance for a start until their Spring visit.  Of course we have typical antifreeze leaks which some "stop leak" should take care of.  I have come so far but today was a major dissapointment.  I'm just in a little bit of shock still, I guess, that my windshield is gone.  I will not compromise, I must have the correct bubble.  It's not like the car was anywhere near done anyway.  Guess I will just finish the bodywork on my LeBaron and try to get it painted and back together this Spring.  I'm just so tired of throwing so much money at these cars and it was a major strain physically to end up with such a setback.  I appreciate the support.  Tune in tomorrow for "As the Engine Turns".

Richard Burgess
Atlanta

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
May I suggest an alternate shipping route - as in the back seat of a car that is being shipped or driven from the location of the glass to near enough to you?

I suspect that if you can bypass the traditional shippers and have the glass ride in comfort atop a car seat, you'll be ahead.

I know that you're looking for a 100% solution, but as a get-me-by please remember that the 64-66 glass will fit but does not have the curve at the top.  I think that everyone here will refrain from pointing it out at car shows after the story that you told should you go that route for the time being.

Where are you located again?

Anyone got additional ideas or plans to take a car from Northern Ca, or near Bob Hoffmeister's place to near where Richard is or within a day's drive?

Anyone near him got a parts car?

That's a real bummer.

---

Did they give a reason for leaving the bottom till last in the instructions?  That seems counter-intuitive to how I'd do it.  I'd think to use gravity and start on the bottom...  Of course I just jump in and do stuff, so break things even more than the folks that read the instructions first....

-K

richard burgess <lecrown60@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yahoo! Photos