IML: Electroluminescent Power Supply Questions

IML: Electroluminescent Power Supply Questions

My friend & I have recently acquired spare Dash Clusters, and I have experiemented with soldering fine wires to reactivate the face plates and needles.

After running a 'lead' from my 63's power supply to the bench, and rehooking to my installed cluster, I noted that the power supply 'hums'. It may have before, and maybe it is because its colder in the garge now than in August. But I am reluctant to rely on this functional supply again for 'bench testing'.

I have read everything at http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/EL.htm
Apparently the units output is 220 to 250V AC with low current (still bites).

So I have some questions:

1) Since the brightness is controlled by a reostat in the headlight switch, can 120V be used to just 'test' the face plates & needles?

2) Can an AC transformer be used to increase 'house current', or

3) Can I just use a standard house 120V plug with an on/of switch  and 'terminals mounted on a board (to connect to the instrument wires) as a test supply source.

4) Should I just make another project and build a supply unit per:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/powersupply.jpg

But What is a good size for  T-1 ?

Sherman Taffel  MD
63 Crown (& 62 LeBaron clusters)