RE: IML: Unleaded gas effects

There have been a couple of very good comments on my original message;  I'd
like to reply to a few of them.

All 16 of the valves show some recession, only #2 and #5 were bad enough to
show up as a compression leakdown through the exhaust system, but all of
them were going in the same direction.  It is true that #2 showed some signs
of running extra hot, and I will have to check carefully for a vacuum leak
in that area when I put the engine back together.  I am running the car on
premium gas most of the time, and the timing is set for just a hint of ping
on moderate acceleration at 30 MPH in high gear - where I set all my cars.
For this car and altitude, that works out to about 7 degrees BTC.  The carb
jetting is strictly by the book for this car, A California Clean Air Package
car with an AVS carburetor - rebuilt by little old me about 15 years ago,
still fine, as far as I can tell.

 The cooling system is superb on these cars, this one is no exception.

I can't comment on the workmanship of the previous valve job - I did the
best I know how, and the guides, springs and valve stems were all within
spec, except for two valves, which I replaced with new (and one of these
happened to be #2, the worst one this time!).  This valve job is being done
at a commercial shop I have used on many other cars, because I don't feel I
am up to replacing the seats myself.  The next owner will have to report how
it stands up!

Anyway, thanks for your interest, everyone.  I thought many folks would be
interested in the facts on this one case, even though it is anecdotal.

Dick Benjamin