IML: 1960 Imperial - Belts Problem

Greetings and salutations -

I am having a problem with one of the belts
rubbing against the neck of the radiator fan.

I suspect this is because the factory installed A/C compressor
is no longer on the engine, causing a slight shift of the belts.

This situation manifested itself Monday morning on my way to work.
Fortunately for me, it all came to a head in the parking lot at work
and not on the highway. The broken belt was practically brand new.

The local mechanic, who restores Studebakers, is no stranger to
other older cars. He showed me evidence of a previous fix where
somebody thought they had aligned the pulleys. Problem was
"they" aligned one pulley too far to he left, causing the belt to
slightly bind. The rest is AAA history.

SO - it looks like the belts, pulleys, etc. need a complete
examination. I don' want to and don't need to rush into this
situation and would appreciate any info./advice from you folks.

Just want to fix once and fix it right.

As always, thank you for you interest and words.

Jim Brown
'60 Crown Southampton - 4 dr. Alaskan White

Yahoo! for Good