Re: IML: More power!/Rear end ratio

From: "Klebert L. Hall" <swampyankee@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: More power!
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:18:52 -0400

> From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: IML: More Power from EFI 318 or Big Block Swap ?
>
> The 81-83 cars were designed to be serene, comfortable high speed (but not
> over 85!) cruisers. They were not designed for anyone who would be
> interested in acceleration or quarter mile drags. They have a 2.22 rear
> axle ratio,
for one thing,

Holy mackerel! I don't think I've ever heard of that long a rear-axle ratio outside of an overdrive car. Learn something new every day.

       -Kle.
       '69 Crown 4DHT

An overdrive car would have a steeper rear gear and make it up with the overdrive. The Imperial had the low range for highway cruising without the overdrive. This era mopar made up for the highway gears with the lowgearset in the trans. First gear is steeper than earlier 904's and that returns some acceleration.

Rob, not McCall.