Re: IML: which tires which car???

 Mr Benjamin I dont recall asking you about the merits of Coker tires. A little bit of knowedge is dangerous ..you didnt have all the facts regarding my purchase so it was a bit early to speak so depressingly.  I also didnt ask you about what is show or what is proper,or how to "Pimp my ride". I find your tone rahter insulting and your comments off target. I have owned many many cars and know which is correct visually. The Imperial wouldnt have had that tire either. My question was purely about the suspension and relationship to the tires. By -the- way, a Le Cabriolet is a Caddy they made 190 of.. I do however agree with your final thought use them on the 66.
-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Benjamin <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:32:22 -0700
Subject: RE: IML: which tires which car???

Slightly used tires from Coker are almost certainly tires that were returned to them because of a problem.  Coker had a reputation up until a year or so ago of selling tires that could not be balanced, and/or were not round.  I have a set of those myself - they make the car absolutely undriveable!   I haven't tried to return them to Coker, because I was told to "stuff it" on a previous similar situation with them.  A close friend had the exact same experience.

I have since learned that they will take back such tires now, as long as they have not been run more than a few miles.   Then, I suppose they just sell them to the next person, hoping that person is not going to complain.

I hasten to add that I have heard that Coker has cured the problem with their tires, and that new tires from Coker are just fine - but you've probably got some from the older batch that were returned.

If you have a car that you don't plan to actually drive anywhere but to a local show or the like, put those tires on that car and get a new set for any car you are planning to drive.

As to your specific question:  I don't know what a "Le Cabriolet" is, but if it is a 79, it wouldn't have had 2 ½ inch whitewalls on it, unless it was used as a pimp-mobile!   That whitewall width is about right for your 66, however.

Dick Benjamin