From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IML: '71 power windows
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:07:23 -0700

There is a serious safety issue when removing a power window motor.

If you do not have a factory shop manual, I advise you to get one before you
tackle this job.

There is a vicious spring that can do permanent harm to you if you simply
unbolt the motor from its frame without first letting the tension off the
spring, and you must remove the whole regulator assembly to do that. It is
an easy repair if you follow the directions. If you try to remove the motor
without following the procedure, you risk a broken finger or worse, and you
will not get it back together again correctly even if you avoid the trip to
the emergency room.

There is no need to drill any holes or perform any surgery on the door
structure. These are designed so that they can be removed and serviced,
safely and without damage to the car. I've had to re-repair cars in which
someone has taken the shortcut of drilling holes or even taking tin snips to
the door sheet metal inner panel!. That is a butcher's way to fix
something. Get the manual, and do it right!

Dick Benjamin

_____