IML: Great Black/Black/Grey Velour 78 NYB 4 dr hdtp for sale -- $2,500.

IML: Great Black/Black/Grey Velour 78 NYB 4 dr hdtp for sale -- $2,500.

Two years ago, on July 4, 2003, I bought this car via eBay from a used car dealer in Missouri. I then drove it back to Atlanta.

About 6 months later, I sold it to a neighbor. He loves the car, but is now single and it makes his third car. This week he asked me to put new valve cover gaskets on it and check it out. He said I could drive it for the weekend since he was flying out to the California wine country with his girlfriend. By the way, we are both in out 60’s and are old car types. He has an El Camino and older Mercedes 450 SLC.

I fixed the valve cover gasket problem with high line FelPro gaskets, and replaced a few vacuum lines and drove the car. I would buy it back from him in a minute for his firm price, $2,500. I can afford the car, but not the divorce.

It is a black 4 door hardtop with a black vinyl top. Car has no rust. Paint is in good shape except for some 1/8” to 1/4” wide exposed areas on corners of hood and trunk panel bends where it was over polished. I think these areas, which are only visible under very close inspection, could easily be prepped and covered with touch up paint. From 10 feet, or less, the car looks perfect.

The interior is grey crushed velvet in very good condition with no tears and minimal wear. Car has PS, PDB, PW, PL, PSeat, Manual AC, T&T, PTrnk, Heated Rear Window, and the rare, high dollar digital AM/FM Stereo radio with foot controlled search and Kenwood speakers in original locations. (Cost me over $300 to get radio into perfect condition.)

Tires are 235/70/15 Michelins with about 50% of the tread left. Mounted black side out, but inside is white wall. I converted the AC to 134a and it is cold and keeps the black car cool in Atlanta. I also replaced front shocks with Monroe Sensatracs, and rear shocks with Monroe LoadLevelers. All sway bar bushings are new and poly with poly endlink bushings. I also mounted the front shocks with poly bushings. From show room stock racing I learned this trick to get the shocks into action quicker in the jolt. It does not hurt the ride in any way and often improves it. The brakes work fine with minor pulsing of the front disk brakes. Car has LeanBurn still on and working.

The only thing I know wrong with the car is the passenger window switch does not work, but works fine from the driver’s side. I have rebuilt all but the rear passenger window motors. I would replace the passenger door switch, but I do not have one for PL and PW. All glass is perfect. The charging indicator has its own scale, but works fine, once you understand it is about ¼” to the left. If it were mine, I would replace the complete LeanBurn on the 400 engine to increase the performance. Since all my other NYB’s have had this replaced and are more powerful, that is a personal preference. The LB works fine as is. The catalytic converter has been removed and the car has a new Walker muffler.

The story on the history of the car is that the used car dealer bought the car from an elderly man in Indiana who thought he could sell it at a wholesale auction and could not because he was not a dealer. The dealer bought it from this man, the original owner, in the auction parking lot. The car is an Indiana car and had been rust treated when new. Due to the lack of rust, I do not think it was driven in winter at all. The rear bumper had a rust spot, so I replaced the bumper. The car now has 97,800 miles on it, but if the odometer had 40,000 miles on it, you would not have any trouble believing it.

Brad Hogg drove this car over 200 miles when he visited me in NC in 2003 and can vouch for what a clean, great driving car this car really is.

I like this car so much that I would be glad to drive it to your location for expenses anywhere in the continental US or Canada. I have no financial interest in this transaction and am only helping a friend.

If you are interested, please let me know and I will get some pictures. There may even be some now on the New Yorker web site. The only change is that when Brad drove the car, it had 275/60/15’s on 8” rims on it. It now has the Michelins, steel rims, and original hubcaps. This car is an excellent car for anyone who wants a clean driver/show NYB.

Henry

Henry Blair

Roswell, GA

770-643-0846