Re: IML: Imperials on the lot--unusual to order?

Re: IML: Imperials on the lot--unusual to order?

Some definitions to ponder:
---
Make: Brand of car, or manufacturer.
  Examples: 1. Chrysler
            2. Imperial (1955-83)
            3. Dodge

Model: Car line of a given appearance.
  Examples: 1. New Yorker, Imperial (pre-55/post-83, a model of Chrysler)
            2. LeBaron, Crown, Custom
            3. Charger

Trim Level: Price line within a car line, usually distinguished by
            exterior and/or interior detailing and level of standard
            equipment.
  Examples: 1. Deluxe, Custom, Crown
            2. [There were none within the models of the Imperial make]
            3. Special Edition
---
Option: Equipment item not included in the base configuration and price
        of a model.
  Examples: Radio, power windows, ashtray lamp

Package: A collection of options offered for one price, often less than
         the total price of the same options ordered individually.
  Examples: Light Package, Easy-Order Package
---

So in the post-1955 Imperial world, you bought a model (Custom, Crown or
LeBaron in most years, though Customs were N/A after 1963) and then added
options. There were very few packages on Imperials, mostly because the items
Chrysler tended to bundle for their lesser models were already standard on
the Imperial.

All that has really changed in the modern day is that more options are
offered only in packages, to minimize the number of variations of each
model's production and manufacturer (so there might be only two door panel
designs, for example: one for manual windows/locks/mirrors, one for power
windows/locks/ mirrors...a tremendous cost savings now and for the parts
dept later on).

Just as grilles are no longer made from ten pieces held in by 38 fasteners,
you might say that cars today are assembled from fewer choices.

Hope that makes sense...
Chris in LA