IML: base model, semantics, etc.

Ah, the howling of the wolves! It sounds so good to hear the pack form again and begin its spirited baying at the moon.

Now, this little spat began because of a simple declarative statement that has been revealed as untrue. The base model was not simply a stripper model purchased only by the very cost conscious who wanted the cachet of owning an Imperial without paying the full price.

Here's how the marketing works today. There is a base model, then a nicely priced value package that includes the items that most folks want and the top of the line model that has one or two very desirable features and other trim stuff as well. The model that sells the best is the mid range trim level. The base model exists so dealerships can run low priced specials and also for folks whose credit is not so hot. The model you will see most on the lot is the mid range but they will have some top of the line models as well, certainly more than they will have of the base model.

In the Imperial era that I know most about, the world of Imperials was a lot less clear. It was a halo car, something that attracted attention but would probably be beyond the reach of most buyers. As near as I can tell, just about every Imperial was custom made to the buyers needs. Just about all of these cars had to be ordered. I have never seen a picture of a dealership with loads of Imperials to chose from. They were an inspirational car, much written about in the press. Some of their features could be found in Chryslers, Dodges, Desoto's and Plymouths.

It seems you could choose a trim level and also what equipment was on the car. This is what makes the situation then different from today, where trim level designation also includes equipment provided. The Crown trim level was the most popular. Then, as now, folks avoid the base model and go for the better package but not the top of the line package. It is one of the ways that manufacturers change the focus away from other makes once a buyer is at a dealership and tighten it on their own offerings. Many people will not allow themselves to have the top of the line model but also don't want to have the stripper version either.

What is unique about this era is that a buyer, having made the trim level decision, could then also decide on other equipment as well. Air conditioning is a popular variation that is most often mentioned in this regard. Every once in a while a very comprehensive and elaborate sales catalog comes up on e-bay that was created to allow buyers to "customize" their cars as they saw fit.

So, Kenyon, I cannot provide you with a clear cut equivalent of trim and equipment levels because the situation back then requires a more nuanced understanding of how these cars were sold, which is where, I believe, I came in.

And for those of you who don't appreciate these discussions and want to start calling names or accusing folks of making their underwear unduly uncomfortable for unnecessary reasons, the moon outside is still there, as deaf as I am to your protestations.

Hugh
58 Imperial