From: Kenyon Wills [mailto:imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:51 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: torsion bar adjustment

> I was under the car on Sunday, and there is no bolt
> under the lower
> suspension A arm. There is one large bolt in the
> front of the torsion bar,
> and one on the end.

I know that everyone is pointing to the solenoid
regarding the clicking noise, and that's likely what
it is, but in case you want to revisit the torsion
bars on your car;

Follow the torsion bar back to where it lands on the
frame.  This would be about where the firewall goes
down and where your heel would rest when driving.

There you'll find the Torsion Bar adjuster bolts.

I strongly suggest that you look up the procedure in
your FSM to do it right.  The info here is good, but a
bit of a patchwork approach to learning it and doing
it correctly.  There are ways to measure with a tape
to see if things are correct or not.

You didn't say which year you have, or if you did, I
can't remember.  Take a look at this:

There is a diagram on this page that shows how the
bolt actuates the arm and what it looks like:
http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/FSM/html/02-004.htm

-and the page prior shows how to measure a 1964 car to
ensure factory specs are or are not present:
http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/FSM/html/02-003.htm

Also:
http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Suspension/height.htm
http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Suspension/torsion.htm