Re: IML: classic car safety

It's ironic that Volvo invented the current 3 pt. harness and then offered it to the automotive world for use royality free.. and they did....

From: ken cleversy <cleversy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: classic car safety
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:48:29 -0700 (PDT)

Just to add another 2 cents..most modern cars have a 2point connection
when you include the shoulder belt. The reason is seat belts at a high
speed can do more damage by letting your pelvis remain in place while
allowing your spine to move. Also as the article said:

  And with vehicles built before the 1930s, "you just can't retrofit many
of these cars. They will never meet any modern crash test criteria for
safety," said Eron Shosteck, spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.
After all, Conrad said, "Bolting yourself down to a 70-year-old piece of
wood isn't really going to stop anything."

My 59 Imperial has retrofitted seat belts and I wear them, but the reality
is that if I get hit by an F250 Truck at 65 the seat belts aren't going to
be that much help.