Re: IML: Imperial carping

I'd like to humbly disagree on this. I felt bad for Bryan when I read the
first response that was posted. (And so far no one has helped him with his
actual problem. For that, I'd suggest to Bryan that he wait to hear from
some IMLers who have had experience with the vendors he named, that he not
assume other vendors are as cheesy as JC Whitney can be, and that he refrain
from using household carpet in a car.)

Here is why I disagree: First of all, to post such a response with no
signature as well as no positive assistance toward the original sender's
plea for assistance just seems a little out of character with the spirit of
this ever-helpful community.

Further, every dictionary I have in my home and office (and since I am a
writer by trade there are several) lists "carpet" first as a noun and second
as a verb. So it seems the published authorities on this matter disagree
with kandkoyen's statement to begin with. ("Drape" appears secondarily as a
noun, synonymous with drapery, as well.)

I love the language, too, and for many linguistic matters I am a purist. But
two of the things I love most about language are its constant fluidity, and
its ability to feel conversational even in written form. I deplore
mispronunciations like "negociate" as much as kandkoyen does, and I ripped
all the wall-to-wall (a compound adjective used as a noun... go figure!) out
of my house, too. But that doesn't help Bryan restore his Imperial.

This is not to say at all that we cannot correct and educate each other. We
are all here to learn and share knowledge, from "there's no T in Dexron" to
"a Crown Imperial and an Imperial Crown are not the same car" to how to find
replacement floor covering. But if any of us cannot resist making a
non-Imperial-related comment, perhaps it's worth taking the effort to wrap
it in a friendlier or more amusing car-related anecdote, or as an aside to
some actual help with the original inquiry.

Sorry if I've called anyone on the carpet...
Chris in LA