IML: Rear leaf springs - To Arch, or not to Arch...that is the question.

IML: Rear leaf springs - To Arch, or not to Arch...that is the question.

I have had the rear springs re-arched on all three of my Imperials by Craig's Auto Springs here in Seattle.  Cost was less then $400.00 for each car and that was over a 10 year period.  Craig is an "Old school" type of guy who has a shop in Ballard, very old bldg.  No credit cards cash or check only.  When I went to pay him and handed over my debit card, he said he had “issues” with the CC companies, so stopped taking those years ago.  He then let me take my car and go home to get my checkbook, or the ATM, I can’t quite remember.  He never had my address, only name and phone, but was the type of guy who took you at your word, and knew you would be honest.  Too bad these types of guys are dying off like the dinosaurs.  He is a mechanic, not a parts replacer.  A dying breed to be sure.

Each time he re-arched my existing springs, added a new leaf, and all in one day.

'63 Custom 4dr SH sat rather high for about a couple of months, and then settled as he said it would.  The work made a tremendous difference.

'60 Crown Vert.  Same story, only this time I put weight in back to make the car not look quite as jacked up.

'66 Crown Convertible Coupe was done in '03, again. I had a couple rims, brake drums, and a steering column in the trunk to keep it down.  After a couple of months removed the extra weight, and the cars sits perfectly.  Still al little high, but it has since settled.

Craig said if I was not happy with it at any time in the future, he would redo the entire process, no charge.  I could not be happier.  My ’66 sits like a new car and drives like one too.

On your car you should check the front end to be sure it is sitting properly as well.  With the Torsion-Aire ride, you would want to be sure that with the newly re-done rear springs that your front end is also sitting at the correct height and adjust if necessary.  If you do adjust the front height, you may want a new alignment to throw in.  My front end on each car was perfect, and the car sat so completely different, I had to re-adjust the 6 way power seats to accommodate for the height adjustment in the rear.  You sit completely different, and have to get used to the view over the gargantuan hood.

You will notice dramatic road manner improvement, and handling on corners, over bumps, etc...

Good luck!

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

'66 Crown Convertible Coupe - Doris Day – WA State vanity plates: FIT4AQN

'95 Buick Roadmaster (Corvette LT-1 350 cid)- Rock Hudson – WA State vanity plates: FIT4KNG

twolaneblacktop@xxxxxxxxxxx