Re: IML: The project has started/ Cap and Rotor?

Re: IML: The project has started/ Cap and Rotor?

You really don't have to convert your ignition from points to electronic. You posted "cap and rotor" but it already has that. The old sytle ignition works just fine. If something goes wrong, at least you can make it go out on a lonely highway. When electronic quits, your stuck. There are no benefits from the more modern system that will be noticible in the way your car runs. If anything, it was designed for what it has, so it may even be better off left that way. Points need to be changed once every 10,000 or 15,000 miles if everything is working the way that it should. I have been sloppy on some of my Imperials and gone as many as 20,000 to 30,000 with out touching them. My newer cars with electronic ignition may not ever need points, but they need attention just as often. Also, I NEVER had AAA until I started running cars with electronic ignition. Nearly everytime I have had to be towed in the last 25 years and around 700,000 miles (36 times according to Triple A, I think it was more) it has been over an ignition problem. Once or twice for fuel problems.

Many folks lament the installation of modern tires on their Imperials because they say it compromises the originality and the ride, yet will shreek at the thought of gaping a set of ignition points. To me, that is almost like making love to the car.

Its your car, but that's my idea, for what it is worth.

Paul W.