Re: IML: 90 IMP air to panal

thanks Frank  i have taken just about all the dash out i can all that is left is the pad and that looks like it made as part of the frame work of the dash and still can't see a thing      i can get my hand in the heat side and pasted a door that looks like it covers the heater cor ( have the heat duck work off) and can feel a 2nd in side door that still has tension on it from a vacuum motor  if i pull it a bit open air will flow out dash when i let it go it pulls shut and blows back to floor.  i don't think i wont to take any more of the dash out with out abook so i may have to brake down and see if Chrysler can fix it      it way to hot in NC to go with out it  and the rest of the car is cherry  im looken for sevice manuals on the car now so if any one knows a sores         thanks  Frank

-------------- Original message from OTTODOCFACS@xxxxxxx: --------------

alan, you may have a broken blend door arm. this happened to my 90 and the air would not come out the dash or just so-so at times.
you need a good shop manual to remove the HVAC unit from the car to replace the blend door. the part that breaks is the top of the arm on the upper part of the blend door.
these doors were only available at the dealer and they weren't that expensive.
if i remember right, if you can get the dash apart far enough,you can just see the top of the arm to see if its broken. the approximate location for viewing is just to the left of the radio area and back on top the HVAC housing.
i also did one of these in an 89 new yorker, exactly the same problem as the 90 imperial. i even used my 90 service manual to do the repair.
if you find this to be the problem, i could email you the chrysler part number for the blend door assembly.
frank