RE: IML: LeBaron ?Vinyl Tops Trim Differences

RE: IML: LeBaron ?Vinyl Tops Trim Differences

The trim differences between cars with vinyl tops and those without were mainly in '64, '65, and '66 on all Imperial models. The biggest difference was the roof rail moulding. On the steel top cars, it was simple stainless strip over the drip rail edges. The vinyl top cars had a thick (and possibly even cast) moulding extended above the drip rail. About half of these cars were ordered with vinyl tops and half were not. You could also look at the sales literature to see the differences. I have seen many '64 through '66 Imperials that have had the vinyl top added after the fact in upholstery shops. It is an obvious addition, since most folks were not aware of this trim difference.

If there is a trim difference in '67 and '68 LeBaron's, it would have to be very minor. I don't think that there is a difference, but I haven't seen enough of them without a vinyl top to know for sure. The '67 Crown Coupe model may not have been available with an all steel top since one of its main features was the divided half padded top, but of course anything is possible. In '68 I believe that the Crown Coupe had a full padded roof, and it may be a different shape than the '67 Crown Coupe roof as well. The cars look very different when parked side by side. That would be another thing to look for in the sales literature.

It will be interesting to see what others might add to this.

Paul W.