Re: IML: 65 crown clicking noise

It sounds like a rocker arm/lifter type of noise. I would remove the valve cover from that side and check to see if any of the fasteners that hold the rocker shaft down are loose. I believe that your year still had the separate rocker shaft stands that support the rocker shafts as opposed to the cast in stands, either way the bolts sometimes get loose.

If thats not it, see if any of the rocker arms appear to be extremely loose, you may have a slightly bent pushrod. You can wiggle them a bit, depending on if the lifter is on the lobe of the cam or on the base circle of it, because there wont be any oil pressure in the lifters at this point. Compare to the others on that side and you should be able to notice any that are extremely loose.

You can also start the engine with the valve cover off, youll only need to run it for a minute or so, it will make a bit of a mess and throw a little oil out , some of which will smoke on the exhaust manifold but its not a huge problem. If you watch the rockers and pushrods with it running at an idle, you should see any issues there as well.

The post said the engine revved way up when it was started, depending on just how high it revved, that could very well have led to a lifter or pushrod issue.

Hope this helps

Mike Sutton
62 Crown Coupe