Re: IML: Radial vs Bias Ply Alignment Specs

Re: IML: Radial vs Bias Ply Alignment Specs

In a message dated 6/6/2005 8:00:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, gearhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A brief net search gives some info on the bias ply vs radial ply tire issue.
This site, http://importnut.net/tiretech.htm , a site specializing in import
cars, shows that static negative camber of about 1 to 1 1/2 degrees greater
is requred for radial tire equipped cars.

Of course, almost any automotive site search pulls up our website, and this
radial discussion is pointed out here,
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Wheels/radials.htm
There is mention by a 'near expert' on the subject that toe it be adjusted
to zero for radial tire equipped cars. Also of note, there is a mention that
the standard Safety Rim wheels that Chrysler started using in the 30's-40's
addresses the issue of radial tires demounting themselves from the wheel
rim.

I don't understand the logic of alignment requirements being different based on bias vs radial tires?  The result of improper/poor alignment is usually uneven tire wear.  Are we saying if we don't realign the front end if we change tire type we will get uneven tire wear?