IML: Washington State DOL handling of no title, or other title related i

IML: Washington State DOL handling of no title, or other title related issues is quite civilized and quite lacking in bureaucracy, which I find odd for a State that prides itself on needless paperwork, and bad attitude workers...

I just did what Paul described in his post below yesterday, Saturday the 4th for my "new" car, which for all intrinsic purposes is new, at least to me as far as condition goes.  It is not an Imperial, but the last of the GM full size, rear drive, V-8 powered luxury liners they produced.  It is a '95 Buick Roadmaster Sedan.  Not the Limited series, but it is the Special Edition Sedan (complete with leather key chain and emblem, with 88,000 original miles.  I looked at 3 different Roadmaster Sedans last weekend, all at dealers, and all Limited series, which on some a few options did not work, all overpriced, naturally.  Except this one, which was a private party.  I did not think I could be financed since I put the Imperial up for collateral on my condominium purchase.  Something told me to call about it anyway, and since it was on the way to Bremerton to see a ’93 RM, via Gig Harbor since I was driving down rather than take the Ferry across to Bremerton.  Well, I spoke to the seller, Jim, who lives in Gig Harbor and is actually the Uncle of the women selling the car.  Jim's niece, Susan was given the car by her dying father who had every single receipt, including the perfect condition window sticker ($28,000 new, and not even the Ltd series!), AND the cars planned maint schedule for the next two years.  Well after meeting Jim, driving the car, and then continuing on to Bremerton to see the '93 Roadmaster, which was a piece of sh.., err, not a nice car, I went back to Jim and we worked it out, and he said he would wait as long as it took for me to get the financing needed.  He loved Doris, and could see I would care for the car and keep it in nice condition and that I appreciated the type of car that it is.  I HATE small cars.  The now deceased father signed the title over to his daughter, but she never registered it, but since her name was on the title, we had to complete the WA DOL paperwork, or she did actually.  When we went to her bank, I insisted beforehand that we sign nothing until in front of the bank’s Notary Public.  That was a good idea as it turned out because the NP must see each person sign documents or they cannot notarize the documents.  WA State has a form with three different sections.  1st is for lost, mutilated, or any other reason you do not have the title.  The 2nd section, which is what we used, is for the legal owner to release all interest in the vehicle, which since she never registered it, but her name was on the title this section covered that transfer problem.  3rd section is for the Notary Public to sign off.  Susan, the daughter, then deposited my finance Co. check for $5,100.00 and in good faith gave me the title and all paperwork necessary to transfer ownership into my name, or the Finance Co.’s anyway…for now.  When the Condo sells, I will pay off, and get both my Imp & Buick title back in my hot little hands.  American General did not create a second loan, but paid off the first one, issued a new one using both titles as collateral.  They lowered the interest rate quite a bit and extended the term to 60 months so the payment is only $70.00 more a month!  Geez, my gasoline bill will be cut in half at least each month, which pays the additional pmt amt and insurance increase combined.

This IS all Imperial related because it allows me to keep the Imperial for pleasure driving only, and with 100, 569 miles on it now I can keep it as low as possible.  The turn over from 99,999 to 00,000 was a sad moment, but reality is reality.  The story of the actual moment it turned over will come later.  I can just feel your giddy anticipation already, but like Christmas, it will get here soon enough.  Have patience gentle people.

I really liked the ’92-’96 Buick Roadmaster (even the wagon, which oddly enough is worth MORE than the sedans) when they came out and saw one for sale last weekend.  Stopped to look, it was a ’92 Ltd. Sedan, I drove it, and it was OK.  I was going to purchase it, but I had some reservations, so went home, and looked the car up on the web.  The ’91 was only the wagon with a GM 305 cid V-8.  In ’92 the Sedan, and the Limited version was offered with the Chevy 350 cid V-8, and put out 180 hp and 260 lbs torque, the dash had a tach, and all gauges, which I liked.  HOWEVER, in ’94, the engine was upgraded to the Corvette LT-1 350 putting out 290 hp, and 390 lbs torque!  Therefore, I went a lookin’ on line, and found one in Gig Harbor, original owner, 87,000 original miles.  The others were 164,000 and up in miles.  The original owner had the window sticker and every receipt and service record since new.  In addition, he had planned out the maint for the next two years for his daughter, Susan!  As he was dying, he gave the car to his daughter, who hated it (too big…whatever!).  She turned the car over to her uncle to sell, whom I met last Monday, Memorial Day.  The car is PERFECT.  It HAULS ASS AND WILL BURN RUBBER LIKE CRAZY.  In a car that is in reality the only thing I really care about - Power.  It is not the Ltd. series, but that is OK, as there is less to go wrong and useless options anyway.  Power Lumbar support, trim pieces that were gone from the ones I looked at, and I saw 3 of them.  This was the fourth one, private party.

Jim, the daughter’s uncle selling the car, and I hit it off, talked a long while, and I offered $5,900.00 of his $6,500.00 asking price, but was willing to pay the whole amt if need be, but thought I had to at least try to get him down some and it worked.  I got it financed this week, did the paperwork yesterday, and am waiting for a check from my credit card company to arrive to cover my down payment, but have the title, and all, just not the car till my personal check for the $800.00 down payment clears, hopefully this week I will get the check from my Visa Co.

When the Roadmaster sedan re-debuted in ’92 I liked it more than the Cadillac FWD cars, and just the name invoked the 50’s!  This car is sweet!  The Roadmaster is optioned with the Prestige package ($3,000.00), which has many goodies like Cassette, CD premium sound, and lighting among many other items.  In addition, a limitd slip differential (Posi-Trac?), and the TOWING PACKAGE!  So, if towing packages are what they used to be, it should have a heavier duty radiator, transmission cooler, springs, but the window sticker still lists that it has the “Dynaride” feature, which was an auto leveling in the Ltd. series, so with the towing I don’t know just what to expect with that.  The car has not ever been used for towing, and is from Arizona.  It still has Arizona plates on it actually.  Therefore, now I can get my Silver Streak Trailer, or Airstream to tow with a properly equipped car, which saves stress on Doris.  Doris would look cooler towing a vintage trailer, but it would be harder on the old gal.

Therefore, in conclusion, this is a full frame, rear drive, Corvette powered luxury liner.  The last GM built.  It is the same as the Impala SS that is so coveted (God only knows why), but ugly.  The Roadmaster is very stylish, smooth, and extremely quiet.  So quiet in fact, I could not hear it running even with my ear to the hood!  Yes, I am quite sure the LT-1 Vette engine is de-tuned to a point, but it is the same engine in the Impala SS, but 1/3 the price of what those ugly oversized jellybean cars go for.  I know a dealer in Seattle who has a ’96 Impala SS with 3 original miles, and he wants $36,000.00 for it!  He is selling it as a Trailer Queen only, not for driving.  He actually has buyers lined up, but for some reason has not let go of it yet.  The Roadmaster was a beautiful car in the ‘90’s, IMHO.

Every review said it was above average in every category, and those who own them write they still love them at 250,000 miles with few problems.  Alternators are eaten up pretty regular, but that was about it.  In addition, in ’94 when the LT-1 was used Buick changed the dash to just speedo, gas, and temperature, which pisses me off!  If that is not Ass-Backward, I do not know what is, but the earlier dashes had problems and were often replaced.  That was the issue with the first one I saw on Saturday last weekend.  The car read 101,000 miles, but the Car-Fax report I got said in 2001 FL DMV listed it as 164,000 miles, so I called the dealer and killed that deal.  They DAMN WELL KNEW it, but still had it listed on the sticker as 101,000 miles.  Tried to say it was Jiffy Lube, or service station misread the odometer.  Bull-shirt!  Car-Fax gets their info from DMV, Insurance Co.’s, and I think Body shops, or wrecking co.’s, but am not sure, but it is one other source of reputable reliance.  They certainly DO NOT go to Jiffy Lubes for information!  As Car-Fax guarantees to buy the vehicle if the information provided proves to be inaccurate I would bet they are pretty careful from whom they derive their published data.

So anyway, I am a traitor, but my Imp turned over 100,000 miles on the way home from Florence, and that broke my heart!  I just told myself I could not drive it every day, and keep it nice.  I wanted to keep it below 100,000 miles when I bought it in 2000 with 71,000 miles, but life happens, and I needed to have only one car for a while.  Now though I have a Buick Roadmaster, so will be voting Republican, and taking up Golf, and may even turn strait…as if.  I really feel this car is a sleeper, and will go up in value very soon.  It certainly has hit bottom at 10 years old, and AVERAGE retail of this car with low mileage added in booked out at $7,300.00, so I think I did pretty well.  With the original owner, records, etc…  I did REALLY well on it.  Moreover, gas mileage will be at least double.  Most people report 18-20 City and 25-30 hwy at 75-80 mph, which to me is  an economy car.

I hate small cars, prefer full frame safety, duel airbags, etc… this car offers, and as I said before, it was, to me, the best styled of the series: Impala, Fleetwood, and Roadmaster, which were V-8, rear drive platforms.  It is modern enough to be easily serviced.

I certainly Hope nobody takes offence to my story not being purely Imperial, but wanted to share with the list something I feel is going to be a benefit to both my Doris Day as well as myself.

I have yet to respond to Laurie Carter’s request for my version of the trip down to Florence, OR with Eric from Portland, but I am still working my ass off at work, so have not had time.

Laurie, promise I will, and it will be good.

Eric, does the ’64 Coupe still have the engine compartment “Powder Coated”, or have you restored it to original yet?  I have a picture I would send to both you and the site from the car show with both Eric as proud owner, fire extinguisher in hand, and a completely white, really, ALL WHITE engine, and engine bay.  At the car show as people gawked and made comments I informed them that this was done on purpose, and the engine had been “Powder Coated”.  This caused great laughter, and saved face for Eric.  At least I hope so, Eric.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

twolaneblacktop@xxxxxxxxxxx

’66 Imperial Crown Convertible Coupe -  Doris Day.  WA State Vanity plates:  FIT4AQN

’95 Buick Roadmaster Sedan – Rock Hudson(?)  WA State Vanity plates (I hope):  KNGODRD